We have so many things that we think we cannot live without. Houses, cars, clothing, jewelry, indulgences, television, computers, cell phones, ipods, the list goes on and on. Presented with the challenge of something you cannot live without, one cannot help but attach sentimental value to our possessions. As I looked around my home for something to photograph that I simply could not live without, my eye and my heart caught two things. As I opened the glass door of my 1909 Secretary Cabinet, where I put many treasures, I reached with my left hand for a book. My left hand ring finger banded in a gold ring. A symbolic trinket, uniting love and committment between me and a wonderful man. Signifying, at this point, 31 years together. Good times, bad times, laughter and tears. One important thing that has held us together for so long is our faith. Faith in God, faith in eternity, faith in each other. My wedding ring is resting upon my grandfather's scriptures. The book from my cabinet. I remember my grandpa reading his scriptures daily. He had a great testimony and represented his faith in good manner. I was given his scriptures after his death. This leather-bound book has his handwritten notes in the margins, his crooked lines marking passages that were important to him. I hold the book to my face, I can smell his cologne very faintly. My grandparents were married almost 75 years. What better things to surround our lives than gems that preserve our emotions.

6 comments:
Those are both very special things. 31 years is amazing and I am always proud to say that my parents are still married, a great example to me and luke. Love your pic.
I really love this picture! :)
Always such beautiful words and wonderful items that you cannot live without. Wow! 31 years...congratulations...it is quite an accomplishment.
31 years! Wonderful:) Lovely photo too!
Such a moving post.
Very beautiful your words and image xox
this is so fabulous!
the ring and the scripture combine so beautifully together.
i love that you can still smell your grandfather's perfume. that is incredible!
and 31 years...congratulations! that is wonderful!
Post a Comment