October 18, 2010

MK Challenge ~ Vintage

I am one who fills my home with vintage items. I love finding them, collecting them, displaying them. Why this obsession with things of the past - are they made better (probably yes), is it romantic to dream about the past (absolutely yes). I wonder about the history of my finds. A victrola - did a young couple play music while they danced in each other's arms? A secretary cabinet - did a family display books and trinkets, did a woman, at the pull down desk, write a love letter to her man while he was away, perhaps at war? A 1940 Royal Typewriter - my husband found at the D.I. for $2.00. I wonder who used this and for what? Maybe it was used long into the night by those infamous writers of the 40's - Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, or John Steinbeck. Was it used by a young journalist? Will we ever know the exact history of these wonderful treasures? We can only dream of what took place surrounding these objects of curiosity.


5 comments:

luke and kourt said...

I forget, you do have a lot of vintage stuff. I like the black and white take on the typewriter photos. Good Job Mom!

Kristi said...

It would be so fun to see your collection of vintage things sometime. I think old typewriters are so beautiful and I do agree that things used to be made better. Love the idea of the story behind the item. ♥

Life love, clutter and other beautiful things. said...

Fabulous images. I love love love the old typewriter and your thoughts about its past owners!!

Have a lovely weeks xox

Unknown said...

What a great typewriter! I like the glasses inserted into the photo; it really adds a narrative element.

melissa deakin said...

oh, i am in love with this vintage typewriter.
it is fabulous!
i love the idea of all the stories vintage items hold.
thanks so much for joining us this week!
wonderful work.